Speaking In Tongues Meaning
What is the biblical practice of speaking in tongues? In the Scriptures, speaking in tongues is the practice of the Holy Spirit giving the utterance of genuine languages to a person and directing them to speak them. The key point is that the person speaking does not know the language he or she is speaking. For example, a member of a tribe in some remote part of South America who has never learned English may get saved and come under the direction of the Holy Spirit and begin to speak and pray in perfect English in the hearing of others. Therefore, the speaker, by his permission, is surrendering himself under the direction, supervision, influence, and power of the Holy Spirit so that the Holy Spirit can use his tongue to speak audibly to a group of people if they are to be interpreted. In essence, a person becomes a mouthpiece of God. The will and self-consciousness of the saint are still present—though yielding–and self-control is retained even in this state (1 Corinthians 14:32).
What the biblical practice of speaking in tongues is not:
- It is not some psychological exercise that can be explained away as a mental illness, like, schizophrenia.
- It is not some pathological exercise that was caused by an organic neurological damage or effect of drugs.
- It is not entering into an alternate state of consciousness where one loses all self-control and surrenders to the will of some unknown power.
- It is not some type of ecstatic utterance where the person speaking is void if all self-control and ability to stop it. Nor is it some type of learned behavior.
- It is not the babbling of the pagans that has been called speaking in tongues by the critics. The babbling of the pagans is either unconnected sound spoken together following no pattern or type of grammar or the vain repetitions of words. Matthew 6:7 reads, “But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.”
Find out more about the speaking in tongues meaning at truelightministries.org